Friday, March 21, 2008

Yesterday 3.20.08



Kore
On Mine
Being as yesterday was the first day of spring, I took a lot of photos of my fire escape garden. The pots and plants are just starting to sprout green (even though they're mostly weeds that must be pulled) and the sun was shining in that way it only seems to shine at the break of spring. The photo above is of my downstairs neighbor's backyard, shot from out my kitchen window. I thought the bright green eating into the white and gray of the concrete was exactly like the winter-to-spring transition I've (happily) been seeing in the last week or so. I'm really excited to start planting again. Its so nice to have fresh herbs and veggies whenever you want them!

On Her's
I love the texture of this shot. Its like you can reach into the frame and feel the crinkles of the paper and the smooth tape around it. I also really like how graphic and bright the colors are, passing along a sense of urgency. Secretly, I hope someone sees this poster on our blog and it helps them find the missing pup.
Em
On Mine
Every time I take my dog for a walk up Elm Street I see a new missing dog sign up. It makes me sad that people so easily loose their dogs around this neighborhood. I remember being little and our dog Setka would run away on a semi-consistent basis. We would put signs up EVERYWHERE and be so frightened that we would never see him again. We would always find him, but still the idea of these little animals having so much impact on someones life. I see these and I know that that person is freaking out about their dog, and I always hope that suddenly, immediately after seeing the sign, their dog will run out of a bush and I will victoriously bring the puppy home to it's owners. This, does not really ever happen.
On Her's
Oddly enough, (well when living in wondertwin land, these things just stop seeming odd) during this dog walk yesterday I was thinking about how in California, spring rips out of the ground, bears it's teeth and shoots burning hot rays of sun down on your back. In New York, as is shown in this picture, spring is more covert. You know it's coming, and the beginning is filled with mud and rain. But you can see little green shoots sticking out everywhere, flowers begin to bloom, they don't just, explode in color around you. I chose this picture because I felt as though the contrast between the pavement and the natural earth was very telling of this creeping spring. I liked the composition a lot as well as the colors and texture of the photo.

2 comments:

charles said...

Spring? San Diego is annoying in winter and then it becomes spring about 3 months before the rest of the country declares it so. The California poppies have been in bloom for two months at least.

Green Light said...

Yes. This is what I am saying. POOP on So Cal sprung.