Sunday, March 23, 2008

Red



Kore
On Mine
Somehow all three of my Red pictures ended up being from nightclubs. I love disco balls. I love them so much that I have one hanging over my bed. I took this photo at Home Sweet Home, a venue with an excessively low ceiling. In fact, I knocked my hand on that disco ball several times throughout the night. Nightclubs always use light to extreme effects. The environment is created due partially to the combination of a dark dance floor and bright lights. My favourite thing about this picture is the red squares reflected on the ceiling. From eye level, the red squares cover the entire room.
On Her's
This was definitely my hardest choice yet. I was stuck between choosing the thematic best versus the compositionally best. Ultimately, I went with theme. The red in this photo is integral to its message. If all the red was taken out and replaced with another color, this photo would be entirely different. There is something about the urgency of red that speaks so much to a child's desire for 25 cent toys. The red is bright, shiny, and disorienting. It grabs your attention immediately, until all you can think about is how badly you need a plastic ring, toy soldier, or sticker for your social studies notebook.
Em
On Mine
There is a bodega type store up the street from where I live. I go get stoges there pretty often and the guy who works there always stores up a few Parliament light buy one get one frees for me. I shot this gumball machine next to the door and was planning on using it for one of my "yesterday" photos, but then my brain kicked in and I realized that it was perfect as a red themed picture.
On Her's
Ah, disco balls. If anything screams class it's a disco ball. But really, I liked the effect of the red light on the ball surrounded by darkness. It makes the color the most important part of the picture for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only thing classier then a disco ball is a clap-on music-playing disco ball.

I had one installed last tuesday... the fish really digs it. ;)