Saturday, March 15, 2008

Home




Kore
On Mine
Home is a tricky subject. The word implies geography, that is to say, a specific place. But home can mean so much. What about those who do not have a specific place to call home? Surely they must feel at home somewhere or with someone. I wrote about this for my Parsons application. For the "Parsons Challenge," applicants had to pick something in their everyday lives that goes unoticed or unappreciated. I chose Home as my theme and wrote about my grandmother shuttling from Latvia to NYC every 6 months, A couple who felt at home with each other, and the plight of being homeless (or feeling at home with yourself). All of these were accompanied by photos, and I was generally pleased with what I sent out. This photo was taken in my kitchen. I've always felt most at home in my kitchen and my bed. Bill came home early from work and brought me pizza and made me coffee. How more at home could I possibly feel?
On Her's
I adore this photo. I loved it even before I realized em's reflection in the window, though that kind of made me love it more. I've always thought blurry photos look like memories. This photo seems like several memories stacked on top of each other. I really enjoy photos that tell a story. If I close my eyes, I can see em stepping into her house, jumping on the couch and laughing. Why can't all our stories have happy endings?
Em
On Mine
The old colloquialism goes "home is where the heart is" right? I am not going to claim that I love my home in any way shape or form, but I do love the things inside of it. The dog, the Charles and the kitties. The only problem is that sometimes I feel as though those things that make me happy and make me comfortable at home are blurred by the frustration I have had with living not only in San Diego but also with the apartment itself. We have had issues with the electricity since January and just now in March they are going to restore full service. I hate my neighbors and I hate my landlord. The contrast of this happy home feeling and the feeling of being trapped behind a pane of glass at the zoo are confusing and lend to the emotion behind this picture.
On Her's
I feel as though I picked this picture for some of the same reasons that she chose mine. I am often on the phone with Kore or talking to her online when Bill comes home and it most definitely puts her in a better warmer mood. There is a feeling of safety when the people and pets you live with are around and happy, when you have warm food and flowers, that really lend to a level of happiness when you are in your house or apartment. I love the smaller details of the picture as much as I like the composition of it, the coffee on the stove, the hung up kitchen wares and of course, the pizza... great now I am hungry.


No comments: