Sunday, April 6, 2008

Yesterday 4.5.08



Kore

On Mine
Bill and I met Luis and Travis for a drink at Lucky's. It was good times, though Bill and I weren't there for very long. After almost two years of living in Park Slope, I think its safe to say that Lucky 13's is my local watering hole. A 711 opened just down the street recently, which leads me to believe that they opened it solely to assist in regaining sobriety post-Lucky's. I cannot wait to bring em and Chaz there when they visit. In fact, I think about that every time I go.
On Her's
The road to Julian is so gorgeous! This photo looks like a film still from an old western. The gnarled branches and the cross, against the mountainous California sprawl give off this feeling of endless barren that I adore. I keep expecting John Wayne to swagger through the frame.
Em
On Mine

Charles and I took a drive up to Julian in East County, a popular tourist destination. I am not sure why the actual town is a tourist trap, there are no historical places to visit, no museums no nothing! Just pies and shops for old ladys who like cats and hippy clothing. However, the surrounding scenery is absoloutly stunning. On the way there, we drove up he 78, detoured through orange farm country because the road was closed. We actually found A CAMEL FARM! Once we arrived we decided to drive out a different way, the same way that Karina, Bill and myself drove the first time I went up there. The drive down is far more beautiful. The rolling hills home rows of burnt oak and regrowing shrubs. We stopped at a vantage point (vista points they are called here) and found a row of crosses looking out on a mural of purple and green flowing hills as far as the horizon gave up. The clawed branches reaching toward the cross and out toward the sky were doleful and wanting, inspiring me to take this photograph. I don't know why the crosses were there, but those along with the recent wreckage that the Southern California wild fires caused, I felt that this picture was quite symbolic of the mood in the surrounding areas of Julian.
On Hers
I love Lucky's. Every time I see a picture of that bar I can almost feel myself standing outside with Karina and Bill smoking a cigarette, drinks left abandoned at one of the small tables in the dimly lit establishment. There is something so endearing about neon nights, basement grate doors and little sandwich boards outside of a bar for me. It's so New York that it hurts my brain. Bill is standing smoking a cigarette, I can only assume first two fingers pressed on the top of his smoke and thumb pinching the butt together. Everyone has unique ways of smoking a cigarette, but Bill has always had a very distinct habit. This is totally a photo of "your local bar, your local hang out, where everybody knows your name."

No comments: