Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Architecture



Kore

On Mine
I took this photo out of a window in the Aperture Gallery's limited edition prints room. The light was coming in so perfectly I had to snap it up. Architecture for me is all about math and angles. This photo depicts the three stages of Architecture from foreground to backround. The window frame creates a grid, the basis of all blueprints. In front of the window are the bricks which get built into buildings. The skyline in the background is like the culmination of both these efforts. I really love this photo. The dry yellow in contrast with the vibrant blue give off a very summery feel. Maybe I'm just wishing for the warm a little too hard.
On Her's
In keeping with my statement about angles and architecture, is it really surprising that I chose this photo? The lines are so dynamic and strong. The colors back up this strength with great voracity.
Em
On Mine

This is a picture of the Horton Grand Hotel, a Victorian style building nestled in the heart of the Gaslamp district in downtown San Diego. I only option I really had for a good shot of it was a straight up shot of the front face of the structure. I was attracted to the colors of the building and intricacy's of the white metal patio gates. The building a mix of two different older hotels and has an interesting history which you can read about here.
On Her's

The diaphanous blinds give you a brief glimpse of the Manhattan skyline, which holds some of the most amazing architecture in the country. The window, itself, is also part of the architecture in the inside of this apartment. The muted colors and distorted view of the city are almost uncomfortable and once again seem to show Kore's distaste with the messy state of New York living, and was also part of why I chose this picture.

No comments: